Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Terrace Disaster

Two years ago a band of incompetent Polish construction workers ("worker" being a misnomer actually) invaded my house, peed on my bathroom floor, wiped tar on my Heywood Wakefield chairs, left mudtrails through the apartment, covered and protected nothing, ripped up my terrace, installed a gross deck, effectively covered the drain, made my house unlivable for four days and left. The leaks still leaked, the cat stayed freaked, and I covered the disgusting deck with filter fabric and a layer of river pebbles.

Today the ironically named Sunny, the new old super, employed in the past and fired, I imagine for his competence and integrity (and presumably higher pay check) and now re-employed because clearly what has been has not worked, informed me that because the assholes did such a bad job he has to come back and...rip it up again. The landlord has just raised my rent, and I am. Pissed. Off.

I have been gloating over my climbing roses for weeks now, imagining the show in the spring, winding them around the doorway, up onto the roof... I don't know how much longer I'm going to be in this space and I imagined a blowout, rosy farewell.

So here follows a year's retrospective of the 66 Square Feet. In a few weeks it may be no more. Sunny said he would help me move everything, and I think he will. But how to move the climbers and preserve their nice long canes? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

This terrace is my oxygen tent my bubble bath my lemon risotto my warm Canadian my furry cat my Grey Goose martini my cashmere shawl my morning espresso my old English rose my long novel my music my voice. I need it.



March 2006






April 2006

May 2006

Rosa "New Dawn" 's first year...

Formosa lilies

Herb garden...


August 2006





September 2006

Autumn clematis



October 2006


November 2006



March 2007



May 2007


New Dawn's second year...


The climbing form of Rosa "Iceberg" shipped from Texas in April of 2004 and took a year to bloom...





...at the Rose Party


June 2007







July 2007



Basil and a white nemesia

Rose "Abraham Derby"


August 2007


September 2007



The Frenchie arrives and teaches me to dip croissants...


October 2007




November 2007

New Dawn's canes growing long for next year...

9 comments:

  1. I share your pain. Your terrace is a beautiful little world of its own. But keep an open mind. Who knows what the future holds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assassinated construction workers. The future. What it holds.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I do agree with Vince.
    One never knows.
    Don't feel sad.
    And your terrace is great indeed. Show them your pictures, make them understand it's part of your life and memories.
    Are they heartless????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should take some drastic steps that would draw worldwide attention. Estorbo on a hunger strike, or something equally shattering to the world powers. Short of that, I agree, just push the workers off...héhé

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Brigit (the other Brigitte !)

    So sorry for you. But I am sure you will create another world, and I feel like Vince. Who knows what's next ?

    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brigitte!!! Whad? Eed no mas pelleds?? Are you crazee??? No, ees easy: I hab bazooka! heheheh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All right, all right, I was trying to be the reasonable voice out here but clearly, I'm outnumbered, so I'll join the crowds: tell them construction workers that they can smoke Estorbo's catnip and when they are high, push them off the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful roses! I love all the varieties you photographed. I'm with Vince on this one. Give them catnip and show them the high jump.
    UNLESS they are considerate; tidy; clean; quiet; cat-loving; bladder-holding construction workers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne?

    "tidy; clean; quiet; cat-loving; bladder-holding construction workers."

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Thanks, I needed that.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.