Sunday, October 19, 2008

Risotto: shortrib and red wine

Shortribs are perhaps the second proper thing I ever learned to cook, as I may have written here before: dictated to me by my mother from her bed, where she lay with the chicken pox I had given her.

They are a favourite, and a very rich one, so I don't eat them very often. But one of the best things about them, apart from the first eating, when they are tender and rich with red wine and bayleaves (I forgot the juniper berries this time), is Night #2: shortrib risotto. Sometime in the last few years in this tiny apartment, I found myself with leftover shortribs and the idea of a risotto was born. Now it is standard fare and I always braise more than I need...

Mise en place, kind of: red wine, of a sturdy but fruity nature. This unfancy Swartland Shiraz was too young , but quite drinkable.

Long ago I decided that carrots were important for the risotto - they add a necessary sweetness. And I started off with finely chopped onion. Below are the onion and carrot, one whole clove of garlic, and some thyme from the terrace, to which was added a very small cup of Arborio rice, all stirred to coat with the small slosh of olive oil.

Then a cup of the red wine (the same that the ribs cooked in, and the same that you will drink). Stir until absorbed.


I added the meat with some warm broth, and kept stirring. Then whole flat-leafed parsley. Not the stems.

Stir and add broth till the rice is JUST done. Add a little knob of butter, and about a 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. The real one, need I add.

It all takes about 20 minutes.


Not a light meal. But very good for nippy nights.

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should post this when I've just been haunting Brioche for their risotto. Unsuccessfully. But yours looks fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we'll have some on Friday...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.