Sunday, March 1, 2009

Gowanus Garden

OK, I'll say it again: my favourite New York garden. Showing no hint of its summer self. I still haven't met Kirstin, being too shy to say hello the one time I saw her digging. Her boyfriend, more approachable when he was watering the sunflowers last year, told me about the problems with dogs messing the beds up, and I see there are now little fences around the edges.

Compare today's chilly graffiti above with the August-rich sunflowers I sent last summer to the Gowanus Lounge.

The wine bottle terracing has been replaced and cleaned up.

Good curves.

A lot of good dinners...

Can't wait to see it in spring.

This is what it looked like in June 2006:

And now...snow. Tonight. Hopefully.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this one, but it looks fab. There's one in Red Hook, on Beard St. between Conover and Van Brundt I always admired. Its kinda wild with a pleasant acceptance of mugwort mixed in with the perennials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the chief gardener for Bronx Green-up (the community gardens initiative at the Bronx Botanical Garden) once told me that mugwort helps purify the soil. It pulls out heavy metals.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.