Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Fig

The little fig in its little pot has clusters of fruit at the tips of all its branches. The first crop fell off, immature, which longer worries me. I'm still not sure about the current crop. This lot
has looked the same for a very long time now. But this evening I noticed one fig on the far side had turned a promising pale olive-brown. Ha!

The first fig.

Looking at last year's posts, I see that the ripe crop was only ready in late September, before it was attacked...

The First Fig was served with chilled Lillet. The Frenchie and I shared our crop. White inside and sweet as honey.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely that the fig ripened so nicely! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I can't wait to purchase my first fig tree next spring. Do you bring your fig tree inside during the winter months? Or do you leave it outside with some added protection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I would love to have the opportunity to grow my own fruit en veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Errr... are them shrimp growing in the middle? (shiver)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, we did!

    Hi Thomas. The first year I protected it by wrapping it and putting it under my BBQ! The next year I lifted it down off the roof and put it on top of the BBQ. Last year I did nothing. It's fine :-)depends where in the world you are, and what zone, of course...

    jvdh: begeerte...ja. What makes the engine go? Desire, desire, desire.

    http://www.diacenter.org/prg/poetry/01_02/kunitz-poem.html

    Martin - it was delicious. Quite objectively...:-)Can you garden in a community plot?

    Sigrid. Not shrimps, flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have a lovely small yard. But unfortunately we hardly get any sunlight in there. To be honest, I'm already very surprised that my Bougainvillea is still alive and growing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.