Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sizzling shrimp

Not quite there yet. Some kinks to work out.

After we ate these shrimp, for the umpteenth time, I took another crack at it last night.

The bagna cauda theory was good, for cooking the garlic gently before the shrimp were added. But the flavour balance was off, and the shrimp slightly over-cooked. I put them into a blistering oven for five minutes, but perhaps they should just be cooked briefly in the oil on the stove...Arkadia? - wat jy jy gedoen? I needed more garlic, too, for my pound and a half of shrimp.

one cup EV olive oil
1/4 stick butter
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 lemon's juice

Combine all and cook gently till garlic is soft.

Then all bets are off. Add shrimp: in oven for a bit. Under broiler for a bit. In pan for a bit. The latter, I think

They looked smelled, sounded and tasted fine. But they weren't up to the Schiller's shrimp standard. Next time we go, I'm going to beg to be let in the kitchen.

The ones above got dab of the chipotle sauce I made two nights ago for some outrageous porterhouse steaks.

Prosecco and some Cassis. So good.

Don't forget good bread. And plenty of green leaves.

3 comments:

  1. Back in the days when I could (and did!) eat shellfish, I used to make a similar garlic-prawn dish.In ramekins, finished in a hot oven.As Estorbo might say: ber'ber' hot an' ber'ber' queek.
    These look divine. I wish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Dinahmow...do puff up at the thought of shellfeesh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, not quite, but I eschew all crustacea in case.It is probable that I had one "off" prawn and developed the sensitivity.
    Do tell us when you've perfected these!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.