Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Green is a colour

As I walked down a path the other day at the BBG, during the cherry blossomless cherry blossom festival, I heard a man saying loudly and sarcastically into his Blackberry, in a real Brooklyn accent, Oh look, there's green! And...there's green also. And I see some more green! My God, there's so much colour here I don't think I can stand it! It's so colourful here! - he ended in disgust.

Grrr, I thought.

Green. What do people see, sometimes? There are a hundred greens. Dark, bright, pale, yellow, blue, grey, shiny, matte, furry, glossy, soft, mottled, saturated, iridescent, opaque, delicate, loud. Green is gorgeous. Green keeps us alive.

The corner above, a study in green, is lovely, and is shown from the Magnolia Plaza. It is all about texture, and green, and form, and I love it.

7 comments:

  1. Green, the best colour; We are surrounded with it here, and I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for the man & his blackberry. He seems like he can't see the forest through the trees!

    Green is one of my favorite colors.
    Three rooms in our house are each painted a different shade of green. Of course it's not the same as nature's greens, but the color has such a good vibe. I find it to be a very healing color as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My art school professor told me that a gallerist informed him that people won't buy green landscape paintings, so paint around the green, use different colors in place of green.

    Now wonder how many green-dominant paintings have become art icons.

    Yet, I have two dominant colors in my recent paintings-green and gray.

    Hmm.

    I suppose it's the baseline, it doesn't provoke! Its the background of events not the event itself!

    Of course, I disagree, but to blackberry man's reasoning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, clearly he's not one of "us". *sniff* Could you ask him to leave the garden in your capacity as volunteer? That might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a spot on my old college campus that turns so green in spring - like today! - that even the air seems green. It's one of my very favorite places - and memories. Wish I were there today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr.Blackberry sounds like another candidate for the "oxygen deprivation" programme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Green IS a color!" It's one of my favorite things to say to people who complain about the lack of color in the garden. Charlatans.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.